As appreciation of the important ecological role played by fire has increased, so has the debate over how to respond to wildfire and when to use prescribed fire as a management tool. Some fear that fire has become a panacea, and risks being applied indiscriminately. Others point to the successful achievement of management goals when prescriptions are right. For certain, more people are living on and adjacent to highly flammable range and forest lands creating formidable challenges for fire management. Some fires given current fuel loads are beyond our control. How will we respond to fire? Here are links to basic fire concepts, information about fire management, and highlights of some of the burning issues related to fire on Western Rangelands.
- Fire Management: What Are Our Options?
- Fire as a Tool in Land Management
- The Basics of Fire and Fire Terminology
- Rangeland (and other wildland)-Urban Interface: Whose Responsibility?
- Wildland Fire Statistics: Where? How Big? How Much Money?
- Who is Involved in Fire Management and Policy Making?